Friday, May 28, 2010

Rand Paul Won't Rule Out Preemptive Strike on Iran

The lesser of two evils is still evil. Just because he's Ron Paul's son doesn't mean he's Ron Paul's ideological clone. Stop worshiping politicians. Stop looking for a savior. Trust yourself.

    New American -

    Since his stunning primary victory last Tuesday over the party establishment's candidate, Kentucky Secretary of State Trey Grayson, most of the media attention on Paul has been focused on his statements about a landmark Civil Rights Act passed 46 years ago. Considerably less attention has been given to the candidate's remarks about a war that could begin in the very near future.

    "I do think Iran having nuclear weapons is a threat to the stability of the Middle East," Paul said in an interview with Bill O'Reilly on Fox News the day after his lopsided victory. "I think we should do everything possible to keep Iran from having nuclear weapons." O'Reilly then asked if he would be willing "to go the military route" if necessary.

    Rand Paul: Well, I think that, interestingly, I think Iran destabilizes the Middle East a little more now that Iraq has become a Shiite country. But the interesting thing about whether or not you want to use military force — recently, you know, President Obama took nuclear weapons off the table in certain circumstances and I think that's a mistake. I think it's reckless to take them out of the equation. But I think it's also equally reckless to say, well, if they get a nuclear weapon, I'll drop a nuclear weapon on Teheran. I think there is a certain uncertainty that is there from the unknown and throughout the Cold War we didn't announce what we would do in every circumstance.

Read all of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment